Friday, July 8, 2011

Je t'aime Paris!

On a recent movie date to see Woody Allen’s "Midnight in Paris"...





...the theme of whether or not life was better in another era caused me to ponder. Owen Wilson’s character Gil (living in present Malibu) believes he was meant to live in 1920’s France while Marion Cotillard’s Adriana (who actually resides in 1920’s Paris) argues that the 1890’s was the superior era. Adriana decides to stay when she travels to the age of Moulin Rouge while Gil realizes that every era has its mirth and misery, so we should just enjoy the time period we are in.

Although I’m on board with living life to the fullest and enjoying each day as it comes, I still can’t help but believe I would have been more like Adriana and chose to stay in my preferred time period of late 1950’s/early 60’s Paris. There is nothing more charming than the cafes of Montmartre or the book stands that line the Seine. Mid-century Danish teak. Peak of Art Deco. Mod shift dresses. Eccentric hats. Brigitte Bardot. Catherine Deneuve. Authors Albert Camus, Georges Perec and Jean Genet. Artist Marcel Duchamp. Singers Edith Piaf and Josephine Baker. The French New Wave’s Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard. Fashion’s Coco Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent. Of course technology and medicine isn’t as advanced as it is currently, but that seems to be the only downfall. Politically we are not all that better off than the 60’s…war is still prevalent and people are still being discriminated against. The mid 20th century can have me if time travel ever comes into existence…in the meantime I will live in denial of the 21st century through my vintage apparel and my 1960’s Parisian inspired apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment