Monday, July 25, 2011

Inspirational Icon Monday: Michelle Phillips

My discovery of The Mamas and the Papas came after I added Wilson Phillips to my small pink cassette case (decorated with phrase stickers that said “Awesome” and “Hot Stuff.”) My Mom informed me that the brunettes were the children of Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, and the blonde, whom I gravitated toward was Chynna Phillips, the daughter of John and Michelle Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas. I knew The Beach Boys well, but thought I had never heard of The Mamas and the Papas until I realized their song California Dreamin’ had often come into contact with my ears. Unlike the personal lives of the group’s members, their songs had a catchy ease to them. Part folk, part pop. Their musical style also infiltrated into the fashion of lead female vocalist, Michelle Phillips. She leaned toward the mod trend of the sixties and yet held onto a touch of hippie/folk effortlessness. Form fitting turtle necks with beaded necklaces; white skinny cigarette pants with beaten-up cowboy boots; floor length skirts with blazers; purple pedal pushers with a knit shawl; glittery formal tops with flowers in her hair. She really was the epitome of the relaxed west coast California dream.



















No comments:

Post a Comment